Pages

Friday, June 20, 2014

Miracles

After the terrible car accident, I was flown to a nearby trauma center.  A CT scan was done of my head, neck, and chest, which I was sure was crushed.  But no, no breaks or punctures from the crash.  Instead, as a "secondary finding", there were one or two aneurysms in my brain. 

W H A T ? ?

Anyway, it turns out there are four.  The largest one has already been repaired by a procedure called coiling.  This surgery is a miracle.  The thought of the procedure is scary, people poking wires around in your brain; but in reality, for the patient, it's only a 24 hour stay in the hospital, a small incision in the groin, a few bruises, and lots of soreness in the neck.  For the surgeon, it's years of specialized training, and nerves of steel.  I have an excellent, kind, talented surgeon.   

The second largest one will be repaired in a few weeks, and the other two will be watched. The successful repair of the first aneurysm has given me confidence. 

I would never have known about this life threatening condition except for the accident.  I  was given the opportunity to take preventive action, and that is some kind of miracle!  I am thankful and optimistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment